The winter months can be particularly difficult for older adults, presenting a unique set of challenges. Both older adults and their caregivers should take some added precautions in order to provide for their health and safety.
1. Check home safety devices. Make sure smoke detectors and C02 detectors have new batteries. Ensure that any space heaters are functioning properly and are positioned at least three feet away from flammable items such as curtains or furniture and never use a gas stove to heat your house
2. Have emergency supplies on hand. Flameless candles, flashlights, fully-charged cell phones, non-perishable foods and extra prescription medication should be stored in case of storms, power outages and difficult road conditions.
3. Have an emergency contact. Choose someone to check in regularly by phone or in person to make sure everything is okay.
4. Dress warm. If you must go out of doors in frigid temperatures, remember that two or three thin layers of clothing will keep you warmer than one thick layer, and will preserve body heat better.
5. Plan when and learn how to safely shovel snow. Check with your doctor about such strenuous exercise. Persons with cardiac conditions or asthma and who regularly exercise in warmer months may not be able to tolerate the same amount of exercise in cold weather.
About Home Aides of Rockland, Inc.Home Aides of Rockland is a private, licensed and accredited, not for profit home health care agency that supports people coping with frailty, chronic illness, and disability in New York. The mission of Home Aides of Rockland is to provide quality home healthcare services in Rockland County assuring the dignity and safety of our clients—and enhancing their lives. Licensed by the New York State Department of Health for the delivery of home healthcare services, Home Aides of Rockland is an approved training site for Personal Care and Home Health Aides. Accredited by The Joint Commission (Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations), we received the coveted Gold Seal of Approval for maintaining the highest standards in the provision of home care. www.homeaides.org 845-634-2024